Located a mere 10km East of Herceg Novi, Baošići is best visited on foot since paths from the main Adriatic Highway can be difficult to find. Visitors are encouraged to park in Kumbor and walk the main promenade since it is closed to drivers during the summer season. This route also provides a beautiful view of the architecture, natural beauty, and history of Kumbor, Đenovići, and Baošići.

Tourists seeking a reprieve from more crowded destinations like Herceg Novi, Kotor and Budva, find Baošići an ideal location for “cooling off”. for those tourists seeking to be surrounded by nature and Mediterranean greenery, Baošići is the perfect place to spend a day under a large Adriatic pine or a fragrant White Magnolia.
The first Saturday of February marks the opening of the oldest winter festival in Montenegro —the Winter Mimosa Festival. The festival, held annually since 1970, features a caravan of young majorettes, trombones, the town orchestra, and the townspeople. This group gathers in the center of the village and works their way along the sea promenade, where the beaches hold fresh fried fish, wine, beer, music, laughter, and of course, Mimosa flowers.

The origins of the village’s name are disputed—some believe Baošići honors Montenegro’s ruling family, Balšić, but it is more likely that it was named for local hero Balše Cvjetkovića who settled in Baošići after liberating the village from the Turks in 1590. The name Baošle, Baošići was also documented in 1351 in the Serbian Car Dušan charters. Archeological remains of the Balša court (Balšini dvori) and Balša well (Balšin bunar) also stand in the village.
Small, coastal villages like Baošići have always focused on the sea. Baošići’s history alone produced more than 50 famous captains. Today, every family in this village continues to pass on the tradition of sailing to each generation.
Baošići is also home to beautiful architecture dating back hundreds of years including the Church of St. Nikola, the patron saint of Seafarers—built more than 400 years ago and last renovated in 1802.

Another interesting site is the house of Captain Štumberger, although visitors are not allowed to enter the property due to repeated thefts.
But Baošići is not all beaches and architecture—the small village also has a rich history in literature. During the French Occupation in 1881, poet and officer Pier Loti wrote his novel The Diary about a local girl, Paskvala Ivanović, whom he had fallen hopelessly in love with. Later, in Rare Flower, he built a literary portrait of the young woman. In 1934, the Association of Friends of France unveiled a permanent panel commemorating the author.

Despite its tiny place on the map and its tiny beaches, Baošići has proven to be anything but a tiny stop for tourists.


© Montenegro.com